The long wait is over. In the wee hours of the morning, Microsoft has launched Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones.
I personally have been waiting to load up the new build on my Lumia 925 ever since Microsoft announced the preview programme at its January 21 event. For those 23 days I have been going to sleep dreaming of waking up to Windows 10. So you could imagine my disappointment when I found out that the Lumia 925 was unsupported. Worst still, while I was grappling over the prospect of replacing my 925 with either the Ativ S or the Lumia 635, I finally ordered for myself an Ativ S.
Well, I should’ve ordered the 635 instead. Because that, along with the Lumia 830, are the only devices which are supported here in Singapore. What a bummer. I’ve contacted Nokia to see if I can get a 635 or 830 to load Windows 10 on, but we’ll have to wait and see.
Of course, future releases will include other Lumia devices, but for now, if you own a 635 or 830, you’re in luck. Follow these steps below to try out Windows 10 on your phone! Don’t worry, reverting back is easy as Microsoft has provided a software recovery tool should you wish to go back to WP 8.1.
- Grab the Windows Insider app on your phone from the store
- Join in the Windows Insider programme
- Open the app and login with your Microsoft Account
- Choose Insider Slow or Fast, depending on how risky you want to be and how quickly you want updates
- Confirm your acceptance of the Insider program, including the fact you may void your device’s warranty
- Hit the check mark
- Go to Settings –> phone update
- Check for Updates
Windows 10 provides a whole list of new features, mostly to do with an overhauled design and universal apps for pretty much everything. We’ll be posting more about Windows 10, so stay tuned!