Having been announced a few weeks ago, Sony has finally begun roll-out of the long awaited 4.3 update for their flagship smartphone and phablet. The update, known as the 14.2.A.0.290 firmware, has been confirmed in UK, India, Finland, Singapore, Sweden, Thailand regions for the Xperia Z1 and Z Ultra.
For now, the update is not available over the air (OTA) directly from your phone, but only via Sony’s PC Companion application on your computer. The update brings with it all the changes that Google introduced with the 4.3 update along with several of Sony’s own enhancement. According to Sony Mobile’s official blog, the summarised changelog is this:
- Google’s Android 4.3; Jelly Bean as standard – bringing Project Butter performance & UI optimisation and a smoother graphical experience
- Launched with the Xperia Z1, Sony’s Smart Social Camera is being ported to the Xperia Z Ultra – Sony’s signature camera experience, that lets you download, access and enjoy “Xperia camera apps” directly from within the viewfinder
- The update is also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, Sony Select and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, offering seamless access to both local and cloud content
- The launch of Sony’s unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – more on this soon…
- The latest Android security enhancements, matched with Sony’s mobile enterprise solution: Xperia in Business
The update has just begun rollout yesterday, 16 December, so it might take a few days before it’s available to everyone, even if you are in the regions stated above.